Re: How to run one php app from another? RECAP

On Fri, June 16, 2006 7:26 am, tedd wrote:
> So, there is NOT a way for one running php-application to call another
> and have it run while having the parent quit?

> 1. There was the suggestion to use includes(). However, includes
> simply adds code into the current application. It does not terminate
> the parent nor start another application. It simply bloats the parent.

This is actually going to be the cheapest thing to do.

If there is monstrous data in the "parent" you could unset() it and
reduce "bloat"

But, really, the "cost" here is a hard drive seek to get the other
script, and you're going to incur that cost no matter what other
solution you use.

So this IS the cheapest way to achieve what you want.

> So, what say you fine php people, can anyone give me an example of a
> php application running (i.e., calling) another? I suspect that php
> can't, but I don't know why -- it doesn't seem logical. Is this one of
> those stateless problematic thingies, or what?

You could do an exec() and have the program being executed fork or use
& and then the parent would quit, but once the parent quits, you lose
your connection to the browser and stdout/stdin and all that for the
child.

You could also do a "Location:" header, but again losing all the data
from parent application, unless you pass it in URL or $_SESSION.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm