Re: Upgrade to PHP5 on Fedora Core

Dave M G a écrit :
PHP List,

My hosting service allows me enough access to do things like handle my own upgrades and full administrative access. Usually, because I am more of a web designer than an server administrator, I get their support staff to manage upgrades and installations.

However, that does cost money, so I thought this time, if it's easy enough, I would try upgrading PHP myself. Currently my hosting service is running PHP Version 4.4.2, and I would like to upgrade to the latest stable build of PHP 5.

what happens if your upgrade doesn't work ?
At home, I use Ubuntu LTS, and to upgrade to PHP 5 I just used apt-get (with the Synaptic GUI) to upgrade. It was very easy.

The hosting machine is using Fedora Core 1. I'm less familiar with Red Hat systems, but I do understand that yum is the equivalent of apt-get.

you can find apt packets for RedHat FC1
So, I'm hoping I can just do:

yum install php5

... and be off and running.

But because I don't really want to suffer any downtime, I hoped to get confirmation here on this list that this will work, and check if I need any other configuration options.

there are also some differences between php 4.2.2 and 5.x.y.
could you try to set up another apache that will use your php5, so you can do the basic tests before upgrading ?

you can set up another apache server to listen to another port, so the switch to the latest version is easy,
and the switch back in case of an error with php5 is also easy.

do you have any http backup server ?
do you have backups of your http server (if there is no http backup server).
If it makes a difference, I'm also running MySQL 5.0 on the system, and Apache 2.

Is there anything else I need to know for a smooth upgrade to PHP 5?

Did you ask the hosting service guys for how they manage php upgrades ? (I know they won't give you infos you paid for easily).

hope this'll help
N F
--
Dave M G