Re: date_sunrise accuracy

"Jochem Maas" <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:448ED228.9060601@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> KI wrote:
>> I posted this Thursday as a PHP bug: http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=37743
>>
>> Basically this function is off by 2 minutes from the US & UK governments
>> calculations.
>
> not today it isn't - U.S. Naval Observatory
> (http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html)
> gives me 5.23 for sunrise with the data you gave in your bug report.

Today it's actually off by 3 minutes 5:23 vs 5:26.

> I suggest you take dericks' words on it that this is a very difficult
> algorithm and that this cannot easily, if at all, be 'fixed' (if it is
> even actually a bug).
>
> and besides since when were either of those govs considered trustworthy?
> as far as authoritive sources are concerned they are right up there with
> wikipedia and google.

Well you can add Canada to that list.... Did you check with Netherlands?

> and like like Einstein said - time is relative. so what is 5.22 anyway?
>
>> While PHP is admitting there is a difference they are stating
>> I should live with it and "it's expected".  Does any one else not find
>> this
>> acceptable?
>
> about as acceptable as the number of vowels in your domain name.
> (it remains a fact whether one 'accepts' it or not)

I don't quite comprehend why an algorithm - presumably (but apparently not)
the same - should come up with 2 different responses.

> What can be done to push PHP to correct this?
>
> nothing, unless you can provide a patch.

If I could do that I wouldn't need the function in the first place.

> there is a reason why php is not used to track satellites or shuttle
> reentries and the like...

LOL

 and 60 seconds off on the sunrise calculation on some
> webpage is not exactly going to stop the world from rotating is it?

60 seconds wouldn't but 120 would. ;-)

>> Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.