Re: Seeking recommendations for use of include()

At 7:22 PM +0900 6/13/06, Dave M G wrote:
>PHP List,
>
>Up until now, in order to get all the functions and classes I need in my scripts, I have always made a file called "includes.php" that contains a series of include() statements for all of the files that I want to include. Then I just include that one file at the top of all my PHP scripts.
>
>This system works okay, but I thought it would be better to have a consistent naming standard, and use some kind wild card or loop to include all the files I want. That way I can change, add, and remove files a little easier.
>
>All the files I want to include end with either ".class", or with "_fns.php". ("fns" stands for "functions".)
>
>It seems that wildcard characters are not supported in the include() function. Some experiments and a search on the web seem to confirm this.
>
>So then I thought what I need to do is use the readdir() function somehow, and make an array of all files ending in ".class" or "_fns.php", and then make a while or foreach loop to include every required file.
>
>I couldn't quite figure out how to do that, but in any case I wondered if running this loop at the start of every single PHP script might be unnecessary overhead. After all, the list of included files will only change when I work on the system. It's not going to vary at all based on any kind of user input or in standard usage of my web site.
>
>What would be the recommended way of including files that will change as I work on the system? Do most people create a function to detect the included files, or do most people make a static list that they edit by hand?
>
>--
>Dave M G

Dave:

I group my includes per functionality, such as all dB operations (config, open, close, etc.) go into a db include folder (db_inc) and so on. I don't make large files, but rather small files limited to a specific operations. That works for me -- but, only you can figure out what works for you.

As for your code, try this:

<?php

	$file_path = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']; // or whatever directory you want
	$the_dir = opendir($file_path);

	while ($file = readdir($the_dir))
		{
		if(eregi("(\.pdf|\.html|\.htm|\.php|\.txt)$", $file))	// check the files extension:
			{
			$html[] = $file;
			}
		}