Re: magic_quotes_gpc? Session variables

At 8:08 AM -0400 6/12/06, Mk wrote:
>Hey gang,
>
>   I was having the weirdest problems when I decided to update the code for my site(written in PHP) last modified over a year ago.  The code ran fine under my home development system, but on the hosting machine(1and1.com), my code would break.  Horribly.
>
>   I narrowed the problem to this -  If I have a variable in $_SESSION(for example, 'username') and in my page, I declare a variable (for example '$username="guest"'), I've effectively accessed and overwritten the session variable.   It's been over a year, but I believe this is due to magic_quotes_gpc flag being 1 or something - I checked with my host's phpinfo page and it is set to 1.
>
>   My question is(before I send my host an e-mail to ask them to turn it off for my site) is, magic_quotes_gpc IS the culprit, right?  I mean the whole behavior of if you declare a variable :
>
>   $_SESSION['username'] = "Mark"
>
>   then you can just write $username instead of $_SESSION["username"] to access the session variable is because of magic_quotes_gpc?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Mk

Mk:

I believe that "magic_quotes_gpc" doesn't have anything to do with your problem.

If you want, you can read about "magic_quotes_gpc" here:

http://us3.php.net/magic_quotes

Back to your problem -- place this at the start of your code:

<?php session_start();
$_SESSION['username'];

After that, you can do:

$_SESSION["username"] = "Mark";
echo($username);

And it should work -- at least it works for me.

If you want to turn magic_quotes_gpc OFF, try placing a ".htaccess" file in your root with the following statement.

php_value magic_quotes_gpc 0

I don't know under what conditions one is allowed to do this, but this is what I do with my servers.

hth's

tedd