Re: order of elements in $_POST super global

On Thu, June 8, 2006 9:59 am, Ben Liu wrote:
> I'm using a form (method="POST") to collect 30 boolean values from the
> end user using a series of checkboxes in the form. The form is
> arranged in a table so that the 30 check boxes are not a long list but
> rather three columns (with related items columnized). The problem is
> when I iterate through the $_POST results:
>
> The order in which I wish to present the checkboxes to the end user is
> different than the order I want to have in the $_POST super global and
> subsequently when I dump that information out to a text file.

You CANNOT rely on the browser to send POST data in any particular
order, by the HTTP spec.

While it's true that ALL known browsers send them in the order they
appear in the HTML, they don't have to.

And, of course, if they ever change that, a zillion scripts will break...

Still, better safe than sorry.

> What would be the best way to solve this?

Since you want them in a particular order, use the KEY of the array to
order them:

<input type="checkbox" name="array[0]" /> I'm first.
<input type="checkbox" name="array[1]" /> I'm second.
<input type="checkbox" name="array[2]" /> I'm third.

> 1) Is there a way to present the checkboxes in a certain order, yet
> have the data transmitted into the $_POST super global in a different
> order?

Presentation order is all HTML.

> 2) Does it make more sense to process the $_POST super global array
> and reorder the items within the array?
>
> 3) Some other method?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> - Ben