Re: File downloads

At 8:42 AM +0000 6/7/06, kartikay malhotra wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>I have a HTTP server + MySQL database. Everytime a file is requested for
>download, my PHP script loads the content from the database into a temporary
>file (on the server). I then pass a URL to the client, with a link to this
>file. The client can thus download the file at any time.
>
>However, I can foresee many problems with this approach. One is, when to
>delete the temporary file? Also with more than one client, this approach
>would have to be refined. Security is also an issue: One user may read
>another's files.
>
>Can anyone kindly give me an alternative approach?
>
>I reiterate, I cannot supply static URLs as the downloadable file is
>generated on-demand.
>
>Thanks & Regards
>KM

KM:

Thinking off the top of my head (not always the best for me) -- why not give the user a static url AND a key?

The static url would have a php program sitting there waiting for a user to come along and provide the correct key. After which, your program would then create the file (in a random named folder); provide the user with a link; and clean-up after he's done.

That way you have the control over what's happening. The key approach handles security and when to clean-up.

hth's

tedd