HTML Mail script reading text from MySQL

I can't work out how to load the text from a recordset result into a
variable for sending using mail in a script.
I have a script which creates a dynamic table then I want to load the
table's HTML into a variable which will be echoed in the mail function.
I can't work out how to do this.
I've tried calling the file using exec and fopen but I don't get any result.

I have googled and RTFM (especially variable scope) but just can't work out
how to do it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS - I know there are many Mail classes out there, but I also realise that
this is something I will want to know how to do at a later time.
Thanks,

Tom