Re: OO purism sucks - this is a rant for anyone who is allergic to that kind of thing...

Jochem Maas wrote:
I get this sometimes, it often means I have overlooked something:

Fatal error: Access to undeclared static property: AreaAgendaItem::$extraFields

EVERYWHERE in php an unset var causes an E_NOTICE, but if you dare to use OO then all of a sudden the OO nuthouse runs out to put a straight jacket on you, and it's
getting worse and worse. (not that this example is new)

why don't the purists get that we don't need to be told at every step what is correct and what is not?? but merely to be stopped from doing things that are dangerous
(as in liable to cause a segfault).

eight months ago (roughly) I was told repeatedly that static interface methods were WRONG and so I wouldn't be allowed to user static interface methods anymore (fix my code was the gruff reply) - a few weeks ago static interface methods were included in php5.2(?) as a work around for some other OO deficiency (I can't remember the details but it was Derick Rethans that was suffering from whatever straight jaket had just been introduced).

PHP embracing "The One and Only OO Paradigm"(tm)
[a schizoid paradigm liable to change at the drop of a hat]

[RANT OFF - flame away boys and girls]

Do what I do, and don't do OO.  ;)

--
John C. Nichel IV