mail function in 4.2.2

I am working with a server that has version 4.2.2 on it.  I know...I
know...its old.  Its my ISPs server so I don't have too much control over
it.

Anyway,  I am seeing a problem where when I use the mail function to send
out an email only some of the messages get to the destination.  I wrote a
simple test script that runs through a loop and is supposed to send out five
emails.  Usually only one or two of the emails make it.  And on top of that
its not always the first two that get sent.  Here is my test script.  I also
have tried using the sleep command to give it 5 seconds between each email
thinking maybe it was a time thing.

        for($i=0;$i<5;$i++){
            echo $i."<br>";
            mail("myemail@xxxxxxxxxxxx","test_".$i, "test_".$i);
            sleep(5);
        }

Is there something with this version of PHP that could be effecting the mail
function.  I checked the change log and there has been some improvements to
the mail function, but not much detail on why the changes were necessary.
Just wondering if I have come across an old bug or something.

I've already asked my ISP to upgrade this server so if that's the solution
its on its way to being fixed.  Is there anything else that could be wrong?

Thanks

Aaron