Re: What would cause this?

tedd wrote:
Hi gang:

I have a question regarding php and security. My apologies beforehand if this is common knowledge to everyone except me.

I have a php application sitting at root level on one of my servers who's sole function is to send me an email whenever it's run. So, whenever I reference this app, it sends me an email -- very simple.

However, the app isn't reference or linked anywhere on the site, but it still occasionally runs all by itself.

My question is -- what's triggering it?

Is the cause a bot of some type? I was told that spiders/bots could only travel links outward from your front page (i.e., index) to all other referenced pages, but could not access things that are not linked -- unless of course they know the name of the app.

So, why does this php app occasionally run? Are there critters that navigate my root without my knowledge?

If you can, check your apache access logs and that will tell you the ip of the person who accessed that page.. will give you a starting point anyway.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/