Re: how include works?

Arno Kuhl wrote:

We really are talking across each other. If you read my post properly you
would have noticed that I was asking why the include/require doesn't work
like the _once by default, not why there is a _once (which is obviously the
way you understood it). The application I work on has more than 200,000
lines of code in total, and there isn't a single instance in which I have
ever needed to include a file more than once. I have looked at many code
projects and code samples over the last five years, and read several PHP
books, and I haven't seen a single case where a file was included more than
once, so I'll ask again: why doesn't include/require work like
include_once/require_once by default? (And btw, I do actually understand
complex PHP code, where included functions can include other includes,
especially when you start coding the application-wide API functions.)

I have a template class that can use require to include the same file several times during one request. If it only did it once and then ignored the others most of the interface on my sites would look very odd.

Your understanding of complex PHP code has clearly blinded you to the bleeding obvious. But yes, I apologise for not reading your question properly in the first place.

-Stut