Re: Re: Upload File (binary files?)

Am 2006-05-15 17:25:05, schrieb Rory Browne:

> Bullshit. there are multiple tools for copying files from host to host,
> including ftp, scp, sftp, rsync, nfs, etc. Planning ahead, is  a better way
> to avoid breaking links than using MySQL to store your images.

Right, currently I am using a php5 script which generate temporary
tables and references where to find the binaries and the I dump the
temporary table.  After this I put the dump plus the images into a
tar-ball and transfer it.

The receiver has an equivalent script which can import the table dump
and install the "binaries correctly.

> I notice you've misspelt the most important word there. He says the lookup
> _MAY_ become slow. This behavour is dependent on the filesystem you are
> using. You will encounter this problem with ext3 if you have too many files
> in the same dir. You're less likely to encounter it with reiser. This comes
> down to the competance of the administrator. An incompetantly setup mysql
> table ( without indexes ) would have the same problem.

Right, I have had to create a filesystem with directory structure
where I use the md5sum of the binary and split the 32 Bytes it up
into several subdirectories (e.g. 4 Byte wise)

Now this has speed up my binary-server over the factor 3-5

Oh yes, one thing:

For some years as I begun to use PostgreSQL (I think it was 6.5)
I have stored *.doc, *.xls and such stuff into the PostgreSQL which
gaved me a performance as the hell...

Since I do not realy like the hell and found many usefull *NIX-Tools
I have extracted the Data into text/plain of for the *.xls stuff into
XLM-Tables which can very good stored into the Database and searching
is working perfectly...

The original are always stored on my binary-server.

Having infos about JPEG's?  I extract teh EXIF data and store it in
the Database...

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)