SV: Array name out of field value with data

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: nicolas figaro [mailto:nfigaro@xxxxxx]
Skickat: den 22 maj 2006 11:50
Till: PHP List
Ämne: Re:  Array name out of field value with data

Jonas Rosling a écrit :
> Not so sure if I've tried to work this out before in this list.
> I'm trying to make an array name by a field/row value and assigning values
> to it. But I'm having some problems getting it to work.
> Is it possible to do this? And if, what am I doing wrong? Or is there any
> other way to do it?
>
> while($row=mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
>
> 	// Checking if variable/array is not declared
> 	if (!$$row[0]) {

what do you want to check with the code above ?
I don't think $$row[0]  will give you anything good.
as you're inside your while loop, $row should be declared,
but the content of $row[0] depends on your request.

you can check if $row[0] is set using "count $row";
but if you have an empty value in the first column, this will give you
an empty string as result.

try a print_r($row);  after your "while".
> 		// Declaring an empty array by the value of sales person code
> 		$$row[0] = array();

I still don't understand why you're using $$row above.
> 		// Current sales person code
> 		$code = $row[0];
>
> 		// Putting the product name as a key and the price as a value in the
array
> 		eval("\$code[\$row[1]] = \"$row[2]\";");

do you really want to erase the content of $code you just set above with
the eval statement ?
                                $my_array = array();
                                $my_array[$1] = $2;
> 	}
>
> }
>
> Thanks

Could you please describe a bit more what you'd like to do/set, so we
can give you a better help ?

 N F

The thing is that I want to name an array by the value in $row[0], sales
person code. Once the array is declared it should not be declared again. The
field never contains an empty value.
After that I want to push in $row[1] as a key with $row[2] as a value, all
related to the array name/sales person code. So if an array is declared that
is equal as the value in the first field it should input a key and value.
For example the array "AT" can contain 10 "collections" of data.

Array ( [Product 1] => 1500 [Product 2] => 3000 [Product 3] => 500 ) etc,

Hope I have made it a bit more easier to understand now.

// Jonas