Re: IP to country DB and script

At 11:01 AM -0700 5/21/06, Ryan A wrote:
 > As always in life, your choices are quick, good, and
 inexpensive --
 but you can only pick two. :-)

Hey! Thats a good one, am going to use it in other
places :-)
 Thanks!

No problem -- I met with a client yesterday where I told him that. He thought it a good quote as well, but let's see if he hires me. :-)

 > In any event, if you find a "free one" better than
 what I provided,  please share.

Will do, the problem is, when I visited that page it
tells me:
Your location:
city (unknown)
Country: EU

That routine doesn't reference a dB-- it simply uses:

$location = get_location_xml( get_remote_ip() );
$city = parse_city( $location );
$country = parse_country( $location );

No big deal -- just something I found interesting.

and gives me an option to identify myself below... I
did, so it will help you expand your db, but I cant
want to ask the visitors to my clients site to do the
same, it has to show them their correct country a high
percentage of the time.

After submitting my location details I went back there
and refreshed the page but it still shows me the same
old data....

Yep, but you're expecting more from me than what I deserve.

I could collect the data and build my own dB -- that sounds reasonable. But, my test here was simply to see how valid those calls were. I have no idea if the people who are submitting data to me are telling the truth or not. As such, it would be problematic to build a reliable dB from the "few" visitors I receive.

Plus, things change. Sometimes I access my site and it shows my correct location of "Lansing, MI", then other times is shows "Jackson, MI", and today it's showing "Unknown, CA". So, even if I were being honest, what would I report?

I have seen some pretty accurate reporting systems, but I fear that they have to be kept current on a daily basis.

tedd