Question about templates

I have been using template.inc for templates. It works very well so that I can just work on coding and a designer can make the page look good.

But I noticed that there are several versions (some of which don't seem to work), and its no longer in the phplib. Is there some reason not to use it? And if that's the case what would be the substitute? I have looked at Smarty and it doesn't seem to be as useful the way I'm using templates.

Charlene