Re: Sessions - session_start()

On 5/15/06, Jonas Rosling <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
I've been building a site with PHP 5 on my develop machine. I've been woring
alot with session handling. For example I've been using session_start() now
and then depending on where the user/vistor are or are doing.
But now I've moved the site to a host server with PHP 4.3.8 and now I keep
getting error messages all the time where I use session_start(). The error
message looks like this:

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent
by (output started at /var/www/html/index.php:9) in /var/www/html/index.php
on line 82

But I found out that if I put the tag in the absolute top of every page it
seems to work. But then I need to do alot of changes on all the pages.

Does anyone know if there's any workaround for this?

Thanks in advance // Jonas

I bet the reason you're seeing this now is because your local machine
is configured to have X amount of output buffering while the server is
not.  If you make two scripts that have...

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

...on the remote and local environments you can check this by looking
for "output_buffering."  On some it is set to 4096 by default, while
others are not.

Do what Nicolas Figaro said and also check for any whitespace or line
returns outside of your <?php ?> tags.