Re: PHP suddenly stops working on FreeBSD

Paul Waring wrote:
I restarted Apache this morning in order to allow some new virtual
hosts to be recognised, and now I've got a problem whereby all of my
PHP scripts are being served up as source code instead of being
executed by the web server. I don't know why this is, as far as I'm
aware I haven't changed anything PHP-related for a while and
everything was running fine until this morning. Running

grep php /usr/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf

Gives me:

#LoadModule php4_module        libexec/apache2/libphp4.so
DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.php
#AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

So there's definitely an AddType directive for PHP scripts. If I
uncomment the LoadModule line I get the error:

the php may be being loaded in via an include conf file ....
do you havbe a line in httpd.conf that start with 'Include' ?

Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache2/libphp4.so into server: Cannot
open "/usr/local/libexec/apache2/libphp4.so"

But I think that line has always been uncommented (and libphp4.so
doesn't exist anywhere on the machine). I've tried rebuilding PHP, but
it hasn't made any difference.

what is the configure line used to build php? (does it contain a configure option
'--with-apxs2' ?)

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have gone wrong? I'm at a
loss as to how things could suddenly have broken when they were
working fine before.

does the php error log OR the apache error log mention anything related to
php start up when you have the 'LoadModule' in httpd.conf commented out?

Some version numbers in case it helps:

php -v
PHP 4.4.2 (cli) (built: May 10 2006 14:40:03)
Copyright (c) 1997-2006 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies

httpd -v
Server version: Apache/2.0.58
Server built:   May  7 2006 10:42:02

Thanks in advance,