Re: Convert from jpg to gif ... change dpi...

<tg-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

If somebody has more or better information on this, I'd love to hear it but this is how it is as far as I know and have experienced.

"Porpoise" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> answered:

First off, DPI is not a function within an image, it is a function of output and is governed by a combination of the programme doing the output and the device it is being output to.

-snip- (useful stuff)

So, in conclusion, the DPI of an image is an OUTPUT function - it is not inherent to the actual image. However, you may see DPI data stored within the metadata of a file, where it has been stored by the application used to edit it, because the application has stored information you have given it to communicate with (usually) the printer. It serves no other purpose.

Thanks for your explanation. Anyone who agrees with me, must be very intelligent. :-)

tedd