RE: Test URL length please (Pretty much 0T)

On Thu, May 4, 2006 4:51 pm, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> Ryan A <mailto:genphp@xxxxxxxxx>
>     on Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:36 PM said:
>
>> (Basically, I am checking to see how many characters
>> we can have in a URL that the server will accept and
>> process, the script checks 200-1000 chars.. add more
>> if you want to)
>
> Without any tweaking of the server mine went up to 4000 without a
> problem. However, 5000 always times out.
>
> Fx 1.5, Apache 2, Fedora 4, PHP 4.3.11

HTTP servers are required to support at least X bytes.

X changed from HTTP spec to spec.

In all specs, servers were encouraged to support "as many characters
as is practical"

Note that part of this stems from the fact that there are many
embedded HTTP servers with very specific minimalist goals.

EG the HTTP server in one of them little D-Link hub thingies has to be
pretty small, right?

But they want to be compliant with the spec, right?

Or, at least, non-compliance should not be over something as trivial
as the dang URL being "too long"

At any rate, other than being more than the minimum, it's entirely up
to your HTTP application how long is "max length"

Here's the thing though:  Do you really want a 4000-char URL?

That's probably not a Good Idea for a lot of different reasons -- some
of which may not apply to domain-specific applications, but...

MOST people asking this question are errrr, not newbies, but
journeymen web application developers, who are going to soon realize
that there are better ways to manage client/server I/O than cramming
4000 characters into a URL. :-) :-) :-)

IMHO YMMV IANAL

--
Like Music?