Re: Paged Results Set in MySQL DB with one result

At 4:30 AM -0700 5/4/06, Paul Novitski wrote:
At 11:51 AM 5/3/2006, Phillip S. Baker wrote:
I have some articles stored in a MySQL DB.
What I want is if the article is above a certain length in characters, to page article through a few pages for site readability.

So I would want to print X number of words/characters.
Save the where the pointer is, move on to the next page, and display the same amount and so on for as many pages as needed.

Phillip,

There's a fundamental problem with trying to slice text into resizable web pages the same way it's sliced on paper. Paper pages work because they're set in a fixed font size. When you change the ratio of font size to column width, the places where lines of text wrap changes. Because of the varying lengths of words, strings of words spill over to the next line in non-linear rates. Unless you use a fixed font size (boo, hiss) or you change the font size and the column width at exactly the same rate by sizing your layout in ems, your text columns are going to change in height (line-count) with font resizing.

-snip- (good stuff)

You could make the problem much more solvable by dishing up whole paragraphs only, and learning to accept (nay, embrace!) the resultant variation in page-length.

Paul

Paul et al:

If the text is organized into paragraphs, which I can't imagine it not being, then the solution can be found in using a combination of javascript and php.

Javascript can detect the size (height & width) of window the user is currently using and the web site has control over the font size and margins. With that information, via ajax, it's certainly solvable to calculate what text would fit into the space provided and display it in real time.

Granted it would make for a boring presentation because no titles or variations in font sizes, but if someone wanted to simply throw text to an open window, one could calculate how many paragraphs would fit in the available space and the users actions (on-load, window-resize) could trigger the operation.

Furthermore, if headings where identifiable, then those could be thrown into the mix and calculated as well.

tedd