Re: Sanity checker?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris W. Parker" <cparker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Ezra Nugroho <mailto:enugroho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 10:51 AM said:

Well,

Reservoir,

I envision a tool that would audit your php code, and tell you if your
code is good or not, if it has scaling issues, etc, etc. Basically it
tells if your php code is "sane" or not.

Is this even possible? How could one program determine that another was
"sane"? You might be able to write a program that can determine where
optimizations could be made, but "sanity"?

fwiw,
Chris.

Well, what you need is some sort of compiler to do as much static checking (I mean without actually running anything) as possible.

I meant something like that when I sugested what I described in:

http://www.satyam.com.ar/StructuredTags.htm

But if falls short of doing a full check. Anyway, the solution might be done via something based on a compiler such as phpcompiler: http://www.phpcompiler.org/

And, of course, machine-generated code is, if not reliable, at least predictable and if the generator can be modified, it can be as reliable as can be expected.

Satyam