Re: Tiny mass mail (Kinda 0T)

On 5/2/06, Ryan A <genphp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey,

One of the sites I moderate has fudforum installed on
it, really good forum if you have not heard of it,
tiny and fast.

The problem is the host is limiting the amount of
emails that can go from the site per minute, and we
need to email all the members (a modest 700 or so) a
newsletter/update...any suggestions on how to do that?

I mean i can write a query to get all the email
addresses then write a script to mail() them from a
different server (or my localhost/local machine) but I
was wondering if any of you could recommend a mailing
program to do this or should i just go ahead and write
the script to read the addresses and run a for() loop
to send them the newsletter? Reason I ask is because I
read some time back that using php's mail() for
sending bulk email is not really recommended, not sure
if 700 is really "bulk" but for the site owner it
is...and she is really excited  for her first
newsletter :-)

There are probably some on sourceforge.net or freshmeat.net.. but I've
heard reasonable things about phplist: http://tincan.co.uk/?lid=453

Not sure whether it supports throttling or not...

Pretty much any package you find, you'll have to export the
subscribers then import them into the other program before sending..
bit of a pain but *shrug*.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/