Re: PHP Standard style of writing your code

On Sat, April 29, 2006 10:36 pm, D. Dante Lorenso wrote:
> However...you may need to make a policy in your company.  If you use
> source control for your software, it may see changes in formatting as
> distinct major revision.  Therefore, if you save code in "your" style
> and another developer opens the file and resaves in "his style", then
> you'll unnecessarily make version control a nightmare.  Despite
> personal
> preference, you MUST adhere to the style of the project.  If you are
> the
> sole developer, you define that style.  If you are a coding monkey,
> then
> you may have to suffer with the style that the architect before you
> declared.

I believe I was quite clear when I suggested that the IDE should *NOT*
alter the actual code -- it should simply *DISPLAY* the style I
prefer.

For that matter, any new code I type should, by definition, be saved
in the style the rest of the file is in, no matter which style is
being displayed at the moment.

I don't think there are any IDEs on the market that do this.

They all seem to think they know how to align things better than I do,
and generally just screw it up, and, yes, make version control a
nightmare if you actually try to use their silly auto-format.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm