Re: Possible?

On Fri, April 28, 2006 6:49 pm, René Fournier wrote:
> I suppose my question
> would be, can a single PHP socket server script, executed from the
> command-line, maintain 1000s of concurrent connections (there is not
> a lot of data incoming, btw)?

I suppose my answer boils down to:

You'll never know until you try, on YOUR hardware with YOUR software.

I suspect that if ALL your server does is slam the data into MySQL or
fwrite() to an opened (once at start) file, it will be fine -- or at
least in the ballpark enough that you can explore measures to make it
faster rather than build something super complex.  That's just a WILD
GUESS.  Only a test on your hardware will tell you.

The good thing is, a test script from the example in the manual should
take you, what, an hour to write, a day to debug and make sure it
works with multiple clients, and another day or two to stress test and
see if it can handle the load?

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm