Re: PHP Standard style of writing your code

        IMHO, vertical aligned brackets can be messy when nesting
relatively-small blocks (and seems to me like a lot of wasted space)

I'm struggling to get my head around this concept of 'wasted space' with regard to software code. What is it that's getting wasted, exactly? If we printed our programs on paper it would be wasted trees (page-space) but I almost never do this and I don't know anyone who does except banks. It could be seen as a waste of disk space, but only at the rate of a few bytes per code block, carriage return plus perhaps a couple of tabs. What we must be talking about here is a waste of visual space. How does visual space get wasted? Isn't it possible to waste something only if it's in finite supply? I guess it's being wasted if it's something valuable that's not being used. However, the urge to add whitespace to spread things apart is done with the intent of making code easier to read, so that seems like a use, not a waste.

OK, OK, I'll stop.  Think I'll go out and get wasted~

P.