encoding problem when inserting into database

Hello,
Am having days trying to solve my problem :
Using PostgreSQL database with server and client encoding set to utf8.
I can enter any accentuated data on PHPPgAdmin interface and can see it
stored like i entered it.
The problem that when using a php script, it throw an error when trying to
insert the same data entered over PHPPgAdmin, i can enter the data if u
utf8_encode it but i'll see the stored data as converted one, 'à' will be
written as '&agrave' and so ...
how PHPPgAdmin is doing to store this kind of data-strings ?
thanks