php_gd2.dll not found

I am thoroughly confused.

I am working on a Windows XP box.

I have just upgraded my dev environment to Apache 2 (2.0.55, where
it was), php 5.1.2 (PHP 5.1.2 zip
<http://www.php.net/get/php-5.1.2-Win32.zip/from/a/mirror>
package), MySQL 5.0.20a.

Anomaly 1:

I carefully navigated the MySQL mess, got the required DLLs into
my /ext folder, noted where extensions are found in php.ini,
uncommented the lines to load mysql and php_gd2. MySQL drivers
load fine, so I am uncommented correctly and have correctly
designated the folder where extensions are to be found. I continue
to get a message that php_gd2 is not found. The message lists the
correct path and directory, so I have to suspect that this
particular php_gd2 does not work, does not work with php5, or has
otherwise gotten munged:

     PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
'c:\php\ext\php_gd2.dll' - The specified procedure could not be
found.

I have tried also adding the php_gd2.dll file to the
WINDOWS\system32 folder, as well. Makes no difference, so I have
removed those files.

Anomaly 2:

When I do a "phpinfo();" to see what is actually loaded (and to
ensure that the correct php.ini is being loaded, etc.), among the
info is the notice that I am using php 5.0.3-dev. I get the same
info when I telnet to localhost.

What might I be doing wrong? Is there a patch for php_gd2.dll that
I have missed? Have I somehow downloaded the wrong php version, or
could something simply have gotten corrupted?

Thanks,

Ari