Re: Filter out MS Word 'quotes' for RSS

On 4/26/06, Kevin Davies <kevin.davies@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've got a forum/blog system which is displaying correctly in the browser.
> However, I've also got an RSS feed that is created from the data entered.
>
> It seems that some of the users are copying and pasting from MS Word or
> other packages, and this means that strange quote marks (among others) are
> appearing, and breaking the RSS feed.
>
> Obviously I need to convert these on entry, or on output into RSS. Does
> anyone know of an easy way to do this, or is it a case of identifying each
> unusual character individually?

I don't think there's anything to do this for you.

If it's only quotes you could do it quite simply.

str_replace lets you use arrays for both search and/or replace parameters, so:

$bad_chars = array(...);
$good_chars = "'";

$text = str_replace($bad_chars, $good_chars, $text);

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/