Re: Upload Progress Meter - what's the latest?

Richard Lynch wrote:
On Tue, April 25, 2006 12:18 pm, D. Dante Lorenso wrote:

I'm trying to figure out which direction the PHP community is going
when
it comes to an upload progress meter.

Since that meter would necessarily be CLIENT side, the PHP community
is pretty much ignoring it, since PHP runs on the SERVER.

Anything you see with "PHP" "upload progress meter" together has to be
some kind of hack whose under-pinning is NOT PHP at all, but is
JavaScript or similar client-side technology.

Why don't you ask the guys who write BROWSERS why *they* don't provide
a nice API/interface to display progress, or, better yet, why the
browser itself doesn't just do it once and for all for everybody?

let's consider that 99% of all clients would want a 'nice' looking
progress bar (in the same way they often asking me to do something
about the std form fields, which they consider ugly).

i.e. it would just be moving the problem somewhere else in practical
terms, in so far as we'd probably still have to figure out hacks to make
the bl**dy thing look nice (in the eyes of the guy/girl paying the bill ;-)

and for the record there are other languages that support a progress bar
idiom ... php being the pragmatic thing that it is should imho entertain this
idea more seriously (waiting for browsers to implement it or ignoring the
continually recurring request for such functionality) .... that said
Richard has a very strong argument.