Re: Handling illegal byte sequences in UTF-8 strings

Matt Arnilo S. Baluyos (Mailing Lists) wrote:
Hello list,

We have recently upgraded our database to PostgreSQL 8.1.x which
handles UTF-8 more strictly than previous versions. The new version
will not allow illegal byte sequences when inserting data.

This has caused some errors in our system which inputs data.
Basically, what the system does is insert data which is copy-pasted
from OpenOffice.org files. The content of the OpenOffice.org files are
likewise pasted from various websites which may or may not be using
UTF-8 encoding.

After some research, I have looked at both iconv and mbstring (I might
use iconv since it's there by default). But nonetheless, someone on
the list may have a better way of handling this issue.

What then would be the best way to handle illegal byte sequences
before they are inserted into the database?

the best? wait for php6. but thats probably not an option.
for the rest I'm a charset idiot (I just proved it with a nightmare
upgrade to mysql4.1.something)

--
Stand before it and there is no beginning.
Follow it and there is no end.