Mnogosearch extension - not working with php 4.4.2

Hello guys,

I'm hesitating on how to formulate this. I'm a newbie when it comes to
PHP extensions/modules development, but I have a problem which forces me
to go into source code for the mnogosearch extension (mnogosearch is an
open-source search engine).

The extension (version 1.96) has not been worked on since January 2005
and is unlikely to get any attention in the coming months from its
authors, but upgrading PHP from 3.3.10 to 4.4.2 has broken it, and I am
trying to figure out why.

I have had a look at the PHP 4 changelog
(http://www.php.net/ChangeLog-4.php) to see if I could spot anything
obvious, but as I said I'm a newbie and don't exactly know what to look
for. From the type of errors (very unclear and undetailed) that I get,
my first guess would be that one function declaration in php_mnogo.c or
php_mnogo.h would not be recognized anymore (because it used a funny
declaration?).

The php_mnogo.c and php_mnogo.h are located in this file:
http://www.mnogosearch.org/Download/php/mnogosearch-php-extension-1.96.tar.gz (site is down at the moment but should be back up soon I guess)

Could someone give me some advice on what to look for? (or have a look
at these C files and tell me what's wrong - but I wouldn't dare asking)
The files look very simple (just a few declarations, around 3000
lines :-) in all - including a lot of empty lines).

Anyway, I would be glad for any kind of help you could provide me with
around this.

I suppose it would be easier if I could bring the difference to only one
PHP version (like "between 3.4.1 and 3.4.0) but I am afraid I don't have
enough machines to screw up changing PHP versions all the time to try
it.

Also, if my guess is right that it would be a declaration not working
anymore, I guess code changes related to extensions would have all been
done in 4.0.0...

Thank you,

Yannick