Re: programming contests as a way of finding/evaluating offshore talent...

This is just my personal opinion on the subject.

I don't believe nowadays programming contests are of any worth when judging a developer's talent, at least not what I expect from a coder. These contests usually prove that an a coder can pull out an development as an individual, but from looking at the code, and the way they code, I realize that they aren't fit for an enviroment where working as a team is a must, at least that's the kind of coding I don't want to see in a project where I could be working.

I haven't seen yet a contest where code which is written in a readable and understandable way earns more points. If a coder does his job faster than others but he's the only one who can understand the code, we'll have a problem when the client requires a new feature and he's not longer on our team. I would choose the one who takes his time but thinks carefully ahead and takes into account who will be using the code he's writting. If he is also good with documentation I'll even handcuff him to his desk and do anything to keep him in the team.

bruce wrote:

hi..

i'm looking for opinions on the "worth" of programming contests as a way of
judging the talent of potential software developers...

any thoughts/pros/cons would be appreciated..

and yeah.. i know this is a little off topic.. but some of us here deal with
these issues.. if you know of a better email list for this kind of question,
let me know, and i'll move it to there..

thanks in advance!

-bruce