Re: phpMyAdmin--resetting auto increments to 0

At 1:42 PM -0600 4/16/06, Chuck Anderson wrote:
alex wrote:

hi everyone

i have delete a few entries in my database as they were entered for testing purposes and are no longer need (actually 102 entries)... and even thought that db is empty i noticed that when the next entry went in the id number went to 103
not 0 so i was wondering is it possible to somehow reset the value to zero...

it is of int type and auto_increment

i have a few db's which id like to reset to zero i have tried placing a zero enrty after deleting the lot but it only jumps to its next increment.
does anyone know what i mean...?
any help will be grateful
regards alex
On a related note (he did say PhpMyAdmin) ...

ALTER TABLE 'tablename' auto_increment=n works, but I can't get PhpMyAdmin to reset the auto_increment through the Operations menu page.

If I go to the Operations tab for a table and set the auto_increment value to something less that it currently is, PhpMyAdmin will not honor my request and re-specifies the current auto_increment value in the ALTER TABLE command (even though my requested value is valid).

Is this because of a config setting? I could have sworn earlier versions would obey my request.

Chuck:

This always works for me in PhpMyAdmin (I mistyped it before).

1. Delete the first record.
2. Reset the auto_increment in Operations to whatever you want.
3. Insert a record.
4. Delete that record.

After that, the next record will start at the new auto_increment value. Don't ask why, that's just the way it works.

tedd