Re: Text database instead of MySql (Recommendations / Advise also welcome)

On Thu, April 13, 2006 7:37 pm, Ryan A wrote:
> Hey,
>
>  > A text db is never going to be as fast as a relational db.
>

> I know ...but I have no choice, no MySql or any other database
> installed on
> the server.
>

>> Why can't you use a database (I assume there was some sort of
>> technical
> reason) ?
>
> Load / resources basically, its a bunch of load balanced servers that
> take
> millions of hits per day.
>
> They actually have two types of servers:
> The preview servers (which i am allowed to play in) which has php
> installed
> (for a few clients I have to add)
> and the content servers which have nothing but static files, no
> cgi/php and
> no DBs of course.
>
> I cant change hosts and I have to work with whats there, I cant ask
> for
> anything to be installed....thats the deal
>
> I thought of doing some fancy hacks with php using includes and text
> files
> etc but in the end I see that I need
> a database, or a kind of "database thingy"...hence the text file db.

You're in for a rough ride...

Quadruple all your time estimates, and start by defining EXACTLY what
your app has to do, and EXACTLY how much data needs to from A to B to
C.

Then start looking for ways to do that efficiently, in theory.

Then build some realistic datasets at 100% size, 10% size, 1% size
and, errr, "tiny" size.

Then start writing tests and benchmarks to test out your theories.

Plus, make sure the tests prove that your results are correct, as well
as fast.

All tests have to run on all sizes of datasets, and only the numbers
from 100% have any real meaning.

If you start typing any PHP code too soon, you'll regret it quickly.

Maybe talk to the client and whomever their admin is to see what they
use in place of database in general, or what they would recommend for
your specific application.

SOMEBODY has set these servers up and (presumably) knows what they are
doing...  Use them.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm