Re: internationalization of web site

On Tue, April 11, 2006 1:59 pm, Alain Roger wrote:
> Sorry to send this email on both mailing lists but as i suppose that
> both
> are concerned by it, i did.
>
> i would like to make my web site tune to user language.
> for that i was thinking to create some XML files where all words can
> be
> found and based on the icon (country flag) that user clicked, i will
> load a
> specific XML file to tune my PHP pages.
>
> i know from Java exprience that it exists also another possibility via
> browser setup for preference in language, but i do not know how it
> works in
> PHP.
>
> please, could you give me some tips, helps, or tutorial for such
> request ?

I'm not an expert, but...

I suspect that many users don't bother to set their browser
preferences for language in the first place.

Even if they do, you have to assume that they might choose to read in
a second language if they suspect the content/translation is better on
some pages.

So you'll probably need the little flags anyway.

And the browser-specficied language preference will probably be not
all that useful.

The PHP site seems to have a multi-lingual solution itself.  And
there's a source code link on every page to let you see how they do
it.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm