Re: Need MySql Help Please

Marvin,

As much as we try to keep this list PHP-only I think it's hard to
ignore the ties between PHP and MySQL. Most of us learned both
technologies simultaneously. Still, you may want to put [OT] on your
future email subjects to indicate that the question is 'off topic'.

On the matter of MySQL's command line: From what I can see on
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html it looks like when you
download the Windows binaries you don't get the option of just
downloading the client or just downloading the server - you are
downloading both (someone correct me if I'm wrong) in the 'essentials'
package. I'd imagine that when you run the installer it gives you an
option to install the server / client packages. As long as you told
the installer to give you the server and client both then you should
be in good shape. All you should need to do is make sure that A) the
MySQL binary (probably C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server
5.0\bin\mysql) is in your PATH environment variable and that B) the
server is running (which from the sounds of things, it is). If it's in
your path you should be able to start the client shell by simply
typing "mysql -u marvin -p" or similar.

You also might check out MySQL's documentation on running MySQL from
the command line in Windows
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/windows-start-command-line.html

Good luck!
- Joe