Re: Creating a Photo Album

 > Rob:

 Isn't php written in C?

It is, but so are many other languages that don't keep much of the C
philosophy :) Part of the philosophy behind PHP was to make it easy for
developers writing traditional CGI (the hard way in C) to make the
switch to PHP. The other part of the philosophy was to make it simple
enough for the average programmer to also use. Somewhere along the line
I think they came across a good mesh... although some critics would say
that those elements are a bad thing. Personally I love the closeness to
C. I've had routines in C that I've cut and pasted into PHP, prefixed
the vars with a $, removed var declarations, tweaked a few other things
here and there (pointers *hah*) and voila, it runs *drool*.

Cheers,
Rob.

Rob:

Well, I agree with you. I like the cryptic nature of php; and it being absent from all the pointer confusion; and I especially like the way php handles strings. For me, C was always problematic in the string area.

Plus, php linked with MySQL makes for a very complete development package that runs on more computers than any other language to date.

The only major problem I see is that it's server-side and thus isolated somewhat from user input. I would like to see more user inter-reaction and that's the reason I'm investigating ajax. In short, I miss the event loop.

Also, while I know how to pass variables by reference (i.e., pointers) to functions, I still wonder if one can obtain a pointer to a function? But, I'll find out in time.

tedd