Re: What does this mean: <?=

<?= $arse; ?>

...is a concise, if less readable way, to echo the value of arse. It is only
used to echo a value. To do anything else, for example, call a method, use
the second approach you describe. In fact, you already seem to know the
difference, so why the question? Are you trying to replace this notation in
exisiting code?