mail() and exim

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right list to ask this on or not....

Here's the situation... my php scripts were generating emails as expected. I was shocked when they told me that exim was not responding to requests on port 25 and had to be restarted. So, PHP communicates with exim internally and doesn't have the need for ports as far as PHP generated emails go? Can anyone describe how this communication takes place between PHP and exim (or any mail server for that matter)?? Is this why exim would not send my emails via thunderbird but would send them via PHP???

Thanks!