Re: Handling Large Select Boxes

Hello,

on 04/07/2006 01:06 PM Brad Bonkoski said the following:
> Good point...
> Maybe the gods of usability can kick the user's in the butt to get them
> to clean up the data!
> Previously they used a free text field, which is why the problem is as
> bad as it is currently....
>
> All the data has to be available, so the only other option I can think
> of is to select 1 letter and then have Javascript populate the
> sub-select box...
> unless someone has any other ideas?

You may want to use this forms generation class that comes with a linked
select input plug-in .

You can link an unlimited number of select inputs  making one show a
sub-set of the options depending on the value selected in the previous
select.

The good part is that it can retrieve the options of each select from
static arrays or dynamically a database via AJAX. This means that when
you change the value of one select the new set of options of the
dependent select are loaded without page refresh.

Despite it can use AJAX, you do not have to learn a single line of
Javascript. All is achieved with PHP code. The plug-in takes care of any
Javascript generation.

It supports MySQL databases directly or any other database using
Metabase or PEAR::MDB2 API.

Here is a live example of the static array mode.

http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/view/html/file/9879/name/test_linked_select_page.html

There are examples of the dynamic mode in the class page.

http://www.phpclasses.org/formsgeneration

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos