echo, print and is_callable()/function_exists()

Because both echo and print are language constructs and not actual
functions, you can't seem to use either is_callable() or
function_exists() on either to determine if they are valid 'function'
calls.  Is there any other way to determine to check to see if I can
execute either or?  I'm writing a version of array_walk_recursive() (it
doesn't exist in the version of PHP we are using) and if I try to pass
in either echo or print as the function, nothing ever happens because
neither resolves as an executable function...

Any ideas as to how I can get around this?

thnx,
Chris