Re: IF or SWITCH

On 4/6/06, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 02:29, Joe Wollard wrote:
> > The main perk to using switch over if
> > statements is speed (Google can back this up). The reason it's faster is
> > because it's simpler by design and is able to jump directly to the case
> that
> > evaluates to true, whereas an if statement needs to evaluate every
> if/elseif
> > condition until it finds one that evalutates to true.
>
> I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say WRONG!
>
> Run yourself a benchmark.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.
> --
> .------------------------------------------------------------.
> | InterJinn Application Framework - http://www.interjinn.com |
> :------------------------------------------------------------:
> | An application and templating framework for PHP. Boasting  |
> | a powerful, scalable system for accessing system services  |
> | such as forms, properties, sessions, and caches. InterJinn |
> | also provides an extremely flexible architecture for       |
> | creating re-usable components quickly and easily.          |
> `------------------------------------------------------------'

um. Did you just stick you tounge out at me? (jk) Actually, Rob brings up a
good point. switch statements are not always faster. Here's an example from
http://www.php.net/manual/en/control-structures.switch.php - note that it
says that in certain circumstances switch may be faster than an if.

"In a switch statement, the condition is evaluated only once and the result
is compared to each case statement. In an elseif statement, the condition is
evaluated again. If your condition is more complicated than a simple compare
and/or is in a tight loop, a switch may be faster."

Thanks for making me research that one Rob - I learned something there, and
Ray I hope that helps.