Re: Here is a silly question

Mace Eliason wrote:
Hi,

This is come thing that I have struggled with now and again. I usaually us php code to make it work, but was wondering how others deal with this

I use includes in most of the web applications that I work on to include the header, footer, menu etc.

The problem that I always run into as a project gets bigger is my links to pages. If all the files are in the root directory theres no problem.

If I have some files in a folder and call my menu for example <? include("../menu.php"); ?> I have to call if from the parent directory. But then of course
all the links are wrong.  Root becomes the calling directory.

I usually use a php variable to place the ../ if its needed.

How does everyone else deal with this type of problem. I have a times places an extra copy of the footer, menu, header etc in each directory but it is a pain to change links
when you have multiple locations to do it in.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I would be nice to have a simple way to have my include files in a common place that works and keeps the links right.

Scandog

I didn't see anybody else mention this, so:

$mydir = dirname(__FILE__);
include($mydir . '/../nav/menu.php');

works every time and you don't have to rely on document_root being set properly etc.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/