Why Should I Use Zend Optimizer?

I posted this on the Zend.com forums but have not been able to get a response yet. So I decided to ask the people that know.

I do not understand the need for an optimizer. What exactly is Zend Optimizer optimizing? If it is changing my code, then how about if I just learn how to code better? Is that all that Zend Optimizer is doing? Making my code better?

Instead of making a program to fix all the dumb things that programmers like me do, why not show us what is not working. If post-incrementing is slower than pre-incrementing then I will just start pre-incrementing. What if I already write perfect code? Would I still benefit from having Zend Optimizer on my system?

In other words, is Zend Optimizer a program designed to help poor coders have faster running code despite their lack of skill? Or is it also optimizing other things? If so, why are those things not already optimized?

Can anyone help me unfold this mystery? I have read quite a bit about what Zend Optimizer is and perhaps I have missed the point. So if there is a document that explains this, please direct me to it.

Thanks,
Jonathan