PHP and Connection: Close

I've been looking at a problem with our software. It uses Flash with SOAP to connect to a PHP backend. It seems to work okay, except that at the TCP level, the client keeps initiating new connections for every soap request rather than using a single connection for multiple requests. One possible reason for this is that the server sends a "Connection: close" HTTP header after the first request. I've been trying to find a way to control this from PHP (or Apache) - anyone know a way around that kind of thing?

Cheers,

jon