From: Kevin Kinsey [mailto:kdk@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 10:40 PM
To: Leonard Burton
Cc: PHP-General
Subject: Re:  Invoices

Leonard Burton wrote:

>HI All,
>
>What do you all use for keeping track of invoices?
>
>I looked at a few open source projects (including
>http://billing-software.us/) and it seems that there is not really a
>good Open Source Project out there for invoices.  Am I wrong?
>
>What would be nice is a project with a good API that would allow other
>projects to use its invoice handling capabilities.  It would be nice if
>it weren't designed for one specific situation.
>
>Have I missed the boat here?  Is there a nice OS Invoice program that
>will do all this?  Has anyone considered starting one?
>
>Thanks,
>
>--
>Leonard Burton, N9URK

PHP has become a bit of a breeze for me to use, thanks to its authors (who
came up with a nice syntax and great
docs) and its community (who didn't flame me too much when I was a newbie,
less than 5 years ago).

As a result, my business is managed by a "home grown"
app --- calendar, checkbook management, invoicing, task list, local
messaging, some accounting computations, mileage computation, expense
records, etc.

ATM, I'm adding "trouble tickets" to the mix, and a few other ditties.

Now, if there's nothing else out there, I can imagine it would be nice to
release it, but, as I mention, I'm a relative "newbie", and started coding
it 4 years ago and much of it is have never been updated.  Much is from
before I learned that web standards existed (I learned HTML from reading the
source created by MS FrontPage Express in the late 1990s, [ugh!!!]), and I'm
not a geek by training (so, I've a shelf of books on OOP and still haven't a
great handle on it, but there again comes PHP to the rescue), so "open
sourcing" it might well take so much cleaning up that it would kill me.  And
if it's not cleaned up, it'd probably be as traumatic as appearing on
American Idol in a Speedo (at my age, not very pretty at all; or you can sub
in "hosting a Tupperware party in the nude" if you wish, but who would?).

Anyway, I guess my point was, "rolling your own isn't the end of the world"
(unless you want the world to see it).

All that said, have you looked at Hermes, CentraView (not PHP, IIRC) or
NOLA?  ATM, I can't even recall what NOLA does, but I seem to recall that it
was fairly generic (may have been more of a retail-frontend).

Also, a quick Googling turns up a rather long list at:

      http://cbbrowne.com/info/financefreesoft.html

Good luck, HTH,

Kevin Kinsey

--
Stability itself is nothing else than a more sluggish motion.