RE: Reverse Engineering of Smarty

 -----Original Message-----
From: Robert Cummings [mailto:robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 2:47 PM
To: mailing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: PHP-General
Subject: Re:  Reverse Engineering of Smarty

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 01:12, Sumeet wrote:
> Rory Browne wrote:
> > If you don't have backups, then:
> >
> >  1: Why do you not have backups?
> >  2: Are you insane?
>
> hmm..... totally uncalled for ....

I don't know that it's "uncalled for". I think Rory was drawing to
attention that not having some kind of backup of important code is
tantamount to incompetence. I would have to agree with Rory that if the
code was important enough to seek a method of reverse engineering to
retrieve the original, then some kind of system should have been in
place long ago. Might I suggest CVS? I would have to say that "are you
insane" is a bit softer on the ego than "are you a complete moron".

Cheers,
Rob.
Interesting thread.  I'd suggest that what this thread really gets to an
important issue - how to _ask_ a question.  The orignal poster asked a
question but didn't provide enough information for the list to really
respond properly.  If you have backups and know you can restore from
backup and want to learn if you can reverse engineer something for
grins, well then say so and help the group provide you useful
information rather than whack you about the head and shoulders for
failing to properly backup your system.

Great resource here -->

OK, I'm off to tilt at other windmills.

Doug Quixote...

This e-mail message has been sent by Kollsman, Inc. and is for the use
of the intended recipients only. The message may contain privileged
or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient
you are hereby notified that any use, distribution or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited, and you are requested to
delete the e-mail and any attachments and notify the sender immediately.