Re: Database question and PHP

On Fri, February 3, 2006 2:15 pm, Paul Goepfert wrote:
> I have a MS Acess Database that goes along with my web page.  I want
> to transfer the data to  a MySQL database since there are php
> functions for the MySQL database.  I  do not have a MySQL  database
> running on the system that I am developing the web page. However there
> is a MySQL database on the webserver that the web site is to reside.
> Is the databases that reside on webservers easy to maintain? Is using
> that database a good option or is there another database option I
> should use?

You should probably install (download/upload) phpMyAdmin to your
web-server.

This will give you an interface to MySQL that's at least sort of like
MS Access.

> I am converting this website from Cold Fusion to PHP.  In the Cold
> Fusion version there was a option in the CFSELECT Tag to add a query
> from a database to populate the options for the select tag.  Is there
> a way to do this in php?  I am not talking about the query string but
> the call to get the select tag to populate the options.

PHP is a lot more flexible than CF.

So there's not a single, specific, custom tag for every feature you
might want.

But there is a TON of sample code, or PHP libraries/functions out
there to make it fairly easy to do this.

A quick search should turn up what you need:
http://info.com/PHP+SELECT+OPTION+MySQL+populate

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm