RE: Identifying and removing ?line-return characters from MySQL search returns

Thanks Richard,

> Microsoft Word (and others) use non-ASCII characters for all kinds ...

Most of the text passes from MS Entourage to FileMaker so that is,
indeed, a possible source. I suspect the range of offending characters
probably isn't that wide as they mostly coincide with locations where
I'd anticipate line ends / carriage returns. There are certainly some
contributions using non-English characters but not an awful lot of them.

> http://php.net/htmlentities has several User Contributed notes ...

Yes, I've been there and had htmlentities incorporated into previous
versions. Perhaps time to revisit.

> The best way to deal with this is to make EVERYTHING be UTF-8 from
beginning to end.

Not exactly the simple solution I was hoping for ... but great
clarification that my problem may not be as simple as I'd hoped. I am
very happy now that I've only uploaded a thousand or so rows to that
particular database. I will follow-up on that info and, I suspect,
update my site to UTF-8.

Thanks very much for your ideas.

Cheers
Dougal

This email and its accompanying attachments is intended for the named recipient only and may contain information that
is confidential and subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender and destroy
the message. If you have received this message in error you must not distribute or copy this email or its attachments.

The Civil Aviation Authority accepts no responsibility for any changes made to this message after transmission from the
Civil Aviation Authority. Before opening or using attachments, check them for viruses and other effects.